Web-article from the ZEPPELIN POST JOURNAL
One article of each ZEPPELIN POST JOURNAL is selected the WEB ARTICLE, which is published in the printed ZEPPELIN POST JOURNAL and also online on www.eZEP.de.
This article was published in the Summer2009 issue of the ZEPPELIN POST JOURNAL .
The article is also available as pdf file .
Dean Rodina reports
Translation of the imprint of the card: take off of the new large airship made by the Siemens-Schuckert company at Berlin.
It was the 21st flight of the Siemens-Schuckert airship which was undertaken on May 17, 1911. Not much is known about this flight, and even the airship- postcard flown on that flight does not say much about the flight itself. We only learn that the sender wrote from an airtrip over Berlin.
In addition to the rather marginal description of the flight, the card also bears
(1) A. DIETZIUS, he was the designer and constructor of the Siemens-Schuckert airship,
(2) HUGO SCHENK, helmsman on board the airship,
(3) INGENEER MORDHORST, his function on board or within the company is not known, he was engineer though,
(4) D. VON KROGH, probably airship captain and
(5) RUDOLPH HAAS, engineer on board.
About the author:
Dean Rodina is zeppelin mail scholar, photographer and historian. He is running Gothic Stamps , a postal history online shop.